What is Fluffy and Yellow and Sweet and Salty All Over? Popcorn!Written by Rebecca Temerario
Illustration by Lyndsey Lesh
Time for movie night? Or a little midnight snack? These popcorn recipes will spice up your evening, literally.
Whether you have a sweet tooth or crave something a little more salty, we've got you covered. Say goodbye to bland, boring, plain buttered popcorn with the simple ingredients below. You'll find you already own many of these ingredients tucked away in your spice cabinet. And what you don't already own is worth buying from the nearest corner market. (I tested these recipes with my housemates, who loved them. When my family and boyfriend heard about them, their mouths watered from states away.) So go ahead and add a dash of this and a pinch of that before you sit down for the next episode of New Girl.
Rosemary is my favorite spice, so I began my recipe there. I'd never used garlic salt before, but it happened to be the cheapest of spices at the grocery store. From there, I added the few other savory ingredients my meager dorm pantry owned—there wasn't a method to my madness—I got lucky! Next time, I'd try this recipe with some cracked black pepper.
• safflower or coconut oil
• olive oil
• garlic salt
• parmesan cheese
1. Pop popcorn in an air popper if you have one, or on the stove in a little bit of safflower or coconut oil (you can kind of use any oil here you'd like).
2. Drizzle olive oil, mix in garlic salt and rosemary.
3. Sprinkle parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I'm addicted to coffee. And who doesn't love chocolate? For this recipe, I took things I loved on their own and added them to the popcorn, hoping for a good result. While the espresso powder was a little dry, I'd definitely make this recipe again. It reminds me of the crazy sort of popcorn you can buy in giftable tins during the holidays!
• 1 Golden Grahams Treats bar, crushed
• a hint of espresso powder
• a little vanilla extract. (I added some ground cinnamon, as well.)
1. Pop popcorn.
2. Crush Golden Grahams bar, mix.
3. Stir in espresso powder and ground cinnamon.
4. Drizzle vanilla extract. Combine with a spoon. Enjoy!